Why recycle plastic? At our level, we can make efforts in our daily lives, and depending on where we live, plastic pollution may not be obvious. For example, if you live in the countryside, on a beach, in the woods, or in a small village.
But the problem is there, and it’s massive. Here are some facts:
- According to a study, about 91% of plastic is not recycled and ends up in landfills, oceans, and the environment.
- About 50% of plastic used in the world is single-use, meaning it’s thrown away after one use.
- Plastic bottles are one of the main sources of plastic waste in the oceans. It’s estimated that about 8 million tonnes of plastic end up in the oceans each year.
- Plastic bags are also a major source of plastic waste. According to a study, more than 1 billion plastic bags are used each year worldwide.
- Plastic production is constantly increasing, reaching nearly 380 million tonnes in 2015 and 420 million tonnes in 2022.
- Microplastics, small plastic fragments, are now found in food, drinking water, and the air we breathe, raising concerns about their impact on human health.
- China, the United States, and India are the world’s largest plastic producers.
- Approximately 500 billion plastic bottles are manufactured every year.
In short, even though some may say it’s already too late, at LiliWarrior, we believe it’s never too late to do good. Hence our obsession with recycled plastic and, in general, recycled and upcycled materials.
Join us in this movement by choosing our products that are good for the planet!
Our latest collection of recycled sunglasses is even made from plastic bottle caps, the most difficult part to recycle.
Socially impacting sustainable athleisure
PS : Follow us on Instagram @liliwarrioroff